Graduate Catalog

Policy on Medical Withdrawals

Medical Withdrawal from the University

Requests for medical withdrawal should be discussed with the academic advisor, referred to the Office of the Dean of Students and, follow the regulations provided in the Barry University Student Handbook. There are no partial medical withdrawals for a term and withdrawals will not be done retroactively.

The Dean of Students renders a decision for re-admission to the University, not re-admission to individual schools or divisions (majors). This is the prerogative of the respective deans. Dialogue regarding re-admission to a particular school or college is the responsibility of the individual student.

Voluntary Medical Withdrawal from the University

If a student is unable to complete the course work or other course of study for a semester due to medical and/or mental health reasons, the student may request a medical withdrawal from the University. Medical withdrawal requests must be supported by appropriate documentation from a licensed care provider and submitted to the Dean of Students. If the requested withdrawal is approved, the student will be withdrawn from the University, leave campus, receive a grade of “W” in all enrolled courses (even if the normal deadline for withdrawal without academic penalty has passed) and the student will be obligated to adhere to re-enrollment requirements outlined below if he or she desires to return to the University.

Any student receiving a medical withdrawal during the term may be required to remain out of class for the succeeding term. This decision will be based on seriousness of illness and time of withdrawal. There are no partial withdrawals for a term. Medical withdrawals must be made within the term being requested (during illness). The institutional refund policy applies.

Students requesting a medical withdrawal must have been enrolled at the University for a period of two semesters or more and have a minimum of a 2.0 GPA. If a student does not meet these criteria, s/he must complete a regular withdrawal from the University, re-apply and, follow the degree requirements in effect at the time of their re-application to the University.

Checklist for Students Considering a Medical Withdrawal

  1. Meet with academic advisor and discuss how the withdrawal would affect student’s standing in the program and/or sequence of needed classes.
  2. Meet with the Dean of Students to discuss the withdrawal.
  3. Obtain documentation from a physician or a mental health practitioner outlining why there is a need a medical leave and how long the student will need to be out of classes. Bring or scan this documentation to the Dean of Students.
  4. The Dean of Students will notify student that documentation has been approved and will start the medical withdrawal process. Copies of paperwork will be sent to the student, academic advisor and faculty.

For both voluntary and required leaves, the policy on refunds contained in the catalogue will apply

Involuntary Medical Withdrawal from the University

This policy is meant to be administered by the Dean or Students when a student is unable or unwilling to request a voluntary medical withdrawal and such a leave may be necessary because the student’s behavior severely disrupts and/or threatens the University’s learning environment. Before an involuntary medical withdrawal is considered, efforts will be made to encourage the student to take a voluntary medical withdrawal. The Dean of Students may require an evaluation from either the Center for Counseling and Psychological Services and/or the Student Health Center in order to facilitate an informed decision.

Medical Withdrawal Re-enrollment

To re-enroll at the University following a medical withdrawal, a student must contact the Dean of Students. The student must secure a letter from the primary treatment provider that includes dates of treatment, treatment progress, treatment plan, and a recommendation to resume coursework at the University. The Dean of Students will confer with the director of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Services and/or the director of the Student Health Services before clearing the student for registration. If a student has other registration holds, then those must be cleared with the respective departments in order for registration to occur.

Again, please note that the Dean of Students renders a decision for re-admission to the University, not re-admission to individual schools or divisions (majors). This is the prerogative of the respective deans. Dialogue regarding re-admission to a particular school or college is the responsibility of the individual student

Leave of Absence/Intent to Re-Enroll

Students who are in good academic standing (2.0 GPA or higher for undergraduates/3.00 GPA or higher for graduate students) are eligible for up to two consecutive semesters (cannot exceed 180 days in any 12 month period) of Leave of Absence (LOA) from Barry University.

Students must formally request this action through their academic dean no later than the last day to withdraw for the semester. Students approved for an LOA will be able to re-enroll in courses for the semester following the designated leave period without having to re-apply to the University provided the student has no registration hold or re-entry conditions.

Before requesting a Leave of Absence:

  • Students must discuss leave status and coursework with their academic advisor prior to taking an approved leave of absence. If a student plans to take courses elsewhere while on leave, they must seek official permission to do so through their academic dean.
  • Financial Aid recipients must speak with The Office of Financial Aid about the impact a leave may have on their financial aid.
  • PLEASE NOTE: recipients of Title IV funds as Financial Aid must meet all conditions of Title IV approved leave of absence. To qualify for a Title IV approved LOA, a student must be able to resume coursework at the same place during a term (such as a semester), the same classes must be offered by the same professors using the same curriculum for each class. If a student can get confirmation from every professor that every single class is being offered again during the next term within 180 days, and the student can resume those classes and coursework where he or she left off, then it could be considered a Title IV-approved LOA. If the LOA does not meet all of the conditions, the student is considered to have ceased attendance and to have withdrawn from school. In such cases a calculated portion of Title IV funds must be returned.
  • Students living on campus must contact Housing and Residence Life to make arrangements to move out.

Students with a cumulative GPA below 2.00 (undergraduate) or 3.0 (graduate) are not eligible for a Leave of Absence. A student who requests a Leave of Absence, but whose cumulative GPA is below the minimum will be completely withdrawn from the University and must reapply for admission.