Graduate Catalog

General Information

History

Originally conceptualized by the Most Reverend Patrick Barry, Bishop of St. Augustine, and Reverend Mother M. Gerald Barry, Prioress General of the Dominican Sisters of Adrian, Michigan, plans for Barry College received active support from Reverend William Barry, Pastor of St. Patrick’s Church of Miami Beach, and John Thompson, Mayor of Miami Shores, Florida. In June 1940, a 40‑acre tract of tropical vegetation located in residential Miami Shores was transformed into the campus of Barry College. By action of the Board of Trustees, the college became Barry University on November 13, 1981. Today’s university community is comprised of approximately 7,400 students, served by 1,500 administrators, faculty members, and support staff representing diverse religious, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds. Barry is coeducational and fully accredited.

Since Barry first opened its doors in 1940, the faculty and administration have combined efforts to develop high-quality academic programs that serve the needs of both the students and the local community. Examples of this development include the inauguration and accreditation of such programs as Nursing, Teacher Education, and Social Work. Needs of the local community led Barry to begin graduate programs for men and women in 1954, a Continuing Education Program in 1974, a School of Business in 1976, a Division of Biological and Biomedical Sciences in 1983, and a School of Podiatric Medicine in 1985. In 1999, the university acquired the School of Law in Orlando. Barry now offers more than 100 undergraduate, graduate, and professional degrees which foster its core commitments of knowledge and truth, inclusive community, social justice, and collaborative service.

Barry University has had six Adrian Dominican Sisters serve as president since its inception: Mother M. Gerald Barry, 1940‑1961; Mother M. Genevieve Weber, 1962‑1963; Sister M. Dorothy Browne, 1963‑1974; Sister M. Trinita Flood, 1974‑1981; Sister Jeanne O’Laughlin, 1981‑2004; and Sister Linda Bevilacqua, 2004-2019. The seventh president, Mike Allen, Ph.D., is the first man and layperson to lead the university.

Continued development and expansion of the Barry community are promoted to keep pace with the growth and excellence of the educational programs and to meet the needs of the student population. The physical plant includes more than 50 buildings, with indoor and outdoor athletic facilities, spread over 80 of the University’s 122‑acre campus and adjacent areas. The tropical beauty of the campus, its excellent educational facilities, and the ideal South Florida climate combine to create an atmosphere conducive to learning and to continued personal development.

University Life

The measure of a special university is more than the size of its student body, its faculty, its campus, or its longevity.

Barry’s mission transcends the statistics by which many universities measure themselves. As a Catholic institution, it goes beyond the traditional emphasis on academic excellence to embody a human quality, with personal attention to a student’s social, moral, physical, emotional, and religious growth.

Above all, the purposely intimate scale of the campus and the student body, the careful selection of faculty and staff, and the Judeo-Christian religious dimension combine to create a supportive environment.

Student Right to Know Act

Barry University is in compliance with the Student Right to Know and Campus Security Act (PL 101‑542). Specific information regarding this act may be obtained in the Public Safety Department.

General Graduation Rate Data

Currently, the six-year graduation rate is 35 percent for full-time, first-time freshmen entering in the fall of 2013.

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974

Barry University is in compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (PL 90‑247). Complete information regarding this act may be found in the Student Handbook and a summary of the University’s compliance appears in the schedule of classes published each term and/or semester.

Theatre, Music, and Dance Performances

The Department of Fine Arts produces a diverse program of theatre, dance, and musical productions. All departmental performances are free of charge and open to the entire campus and local community.

Fine Arts Exhibitions

The Andy Gato Gallery was opened in fall 2008. The 4,100‑square-foot gallery has approximately 350 linear feet of exhibition space with 12‑foot high walls. Part of the gallery serves as a student lounge area with open access. A secured exhibition space within the larger gallery is monitored and open during posted gallery hours.

The Studio Art and Photography faculty schedule student and faculty exhibitions, and on an occasional basis exhibitions by outside contemporary artists. Barry University exhibits with pride the graphic design, art, and photographs created by senior Art and Photography majors, and they are displayed throughout campus buildings.

Publications

University publications include the Alumni Newsletter and BUCWIS, an online, daily employee newsletter. A number of schools and departments also publish their own newsletters. In addition, the Barry Buccaneer is written and published monthly by students.

Alumni Association

It’s never too early to think about graduation. That’s why students are doing their part to enhance the connection between our graduates and the Barry community through the Barry University Student Alumni Association. This select group of student leaders has developed a number of mentoring programs and special events to give their peers opportunities to preserve valued traditions here on campus, while also leaving a legacy of their own. Whether it’s building connections within Barry’s growing network of alumni or showing school spirit at athletic events, the Student Alumni Association is a great way to make the most of the Barry University experience.

The Alumni Association offers scholarship opportunities to those students who believe in the importance of an inclusive Barry community and volunteer their time to ensure its success. Scholarships are available to all current, full-time students who meet the minimum academic requirements set forth and participate regularly in Alumni Association events.

The Barry University Alumni Association is proud to offer many great benefits to more than 60,000 alumni, including invitations to exclusive events. Each year the Alumni Association hosts the Distinguished Alumni Awards, Reunion, and alumni and student networking receptions.

In conjunction with local volunteers, the Alumni Association establishes programs and services in alumni communities around the nation and the world. These regional chapters of alumni and friends continue their relationship with the university, fulfill the Barry core commitments of inclusive community and collaborative service, as well as encourage excellence, lifelong learning, and supporting Barry students. Each regional chapter, with its particular alumni population and local characteristics, will have opportunities tailored to meet its needs. Depending on the size of the alumni population, examples of regional group programs may include, but are not limited to: lectures, presidential visits, student send-off parties, cultural events, picnics, tours, sporting events, networking socials, and happy hours.

The Office of Alumni Relations is in the Vivian A. Decker Alumni House at 103 NE 115th Street in Miami Shores, across from the main campus. For information about the Alumni Association or to learn more about how you can get involved, please visit the Vivian A. Decker Alumni House, call 305-899-3175, or email alumni@barry.edu. You may also visit our website at barry.edu/alumni. We hope to see you at a future Barry University Alumni Association event!

Buildings and Facilities

Barry University—Miami Shores Main Campus

ADRIAN—Constructed in 1940 and originally named Angelicus, Adrian houses the Office of the Registrar, the Center for Community Service Initiatives, Veterans Office, health and science classrooms, chemistry labs, and fine arts studios.

D. INEZ ANDREAS BUILDING—Constructed in 1984 and named in honor of Barry’s Chair Emerita of the Board of Trustees, the D. Inez Andreas Building houses the School of Business. It contains the School’s administrative offices, two large executive training classrooms, 38 faculty offices, and 10 classrooms, two of which have been specifically designed for accounting classes.

ANDY GATO GALLERY—The fine art gallery was established in the fall of 2008. Built in memory of Andy Gato, a Miami businessman and friend to the university, this spacious facility is located on the second floor of Thompson and has over 4,000 square feet of exhibition space. The Andy Gato Gallery also serves as a lecture facility, reception hall, and student lounge. The exhibition space reflects the long history of Barry University’s visual arts programs and features the work of graduate and undergraduate art, graphic design, and photography students, faculty, and alumni.

ARCHIVES AND SPECIAL COLLECTIONS—Barry University’s Archives and Special Collections, located on the second floor of Lehman, was established in the fall of 1991 to manage and preserve inactive university records that have administrative, historical, or legal value and to make them available for use. It also receives the donated papers of faculty, staff, and alumni. The Special Collections contain papers and memorabilia of the Barry University founders, Congressman William Lehman’s papers, the case histories and program files of Operation Pedro Pan/Cuban Children’s Program-Catholic Charities. Materials are available for use by faculty, staff, students, and alumni.

ATHLETIC FACILITIES—The main campus includes the Buccaneer Soccer Fields, Buccaneer Softball Field, Feinbloom Baseball Field, the Buccaneer Tennis Center, and locker and training rooms. The gymnasium is located inside the Health and Sports Center.

BENINCASA HALL—Named for St. Catherine of Siena, Benincasa opened in the fall of 2005. Located on NE 115th Street behind the Health and Sports Center, Benincasa is a mirror-image of Kolasa Hall and is comprised of double and single rooms with private bathrooms in each. Benincasa houses sophomore, junior, and senior students.

BROWNE HALL—Built in 1985, Browne Hall was named after Sister M. Dorothy Browne, Barry’s third president. It houses male and female students in double suites; a bathroom is shared between two rooms. Browne houses first-year students.

COMPUTER LAB—Located in the Monsignor William Barry Memorial Library, the university’s main computer lab provides computing resources to students, faculty, and staff seven days a week.

COR JESU CHAPEL—Built in 1940 through a donation from Margaret Brady Farrell, Cor Jesu Chapel is the center of many campus ministry activities. Masses are celebrated daily. The chapel also serves as a venue for special campus and community gatherings. The Department of Campus Ministry has offices on its west side.

DALTON AND DUNSPAUGH HALLS—Originally known respectively as Regina Caeli and Regina Mundi, Dalton-Dunspaugh was built through the Dunspaugh Foundation in 1962. It is a coed residence hall with a central lobby separating each wing. Dalton is composed of suites which share a bathroom between double rooms, while Dunspaugh has a large community bathroom on each floor. Dalton-Dunspaugh is exclusively for first-year students.

DAVID BRINKLEY STUDIO—Named after the famed television journalist David Brinkley, this facility provides resources for communication and media students to work and learn with professional-grade equipment and over 2,000 square feet of set space. It is located on the first floor of Garner.

DOMINICAN HALL—This three-story, 247‑bed residence hall opened in 2012 to house upperclassmen. The first floor includes a café.

FARRELL—Dedicated to Margaret Brady Farrell in recognition of her generous contributions to Barry University, Farrell was built in 1940. Originally named Maris Stella, it houses the Cashier/Business Office.

DR. CECILE ROUSSELL FINE ARTS QUADRANGLE—The Fine Arts Quadrangle is comprised of art, photography, theatre, and music studios, lecture rooms, the Pelican Theatre, and faculty and administrative offices for the Department of Fine Arts.

FLOOD HALL—Built in 1987, Flood Hall was named after Sister Trinita Flood, Barry’s fourth president. It houses male and female students in double suites; a bathroom is shared between two rooms. Flood houses sophomore, junior, and senior students.

HEALTH AND SPORTS CENTER—This center houses Sport and Exercise Science programs and the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics. The Health and Sports Center also has a 1,500‑capacity gymnasium for basketball and volleyball, a Human Performance Lab, Strength and Conditioning Room, Athletic Training Room, locker rooms, and classrooms.

HOPPER BUILDING—Located at 11603 NE 2nd Avenue, the Hopper Building houses the university’s Marketing and Digital Strategies offices as well as the Distribution Center for the Department of Recruitment and Admissions.

JAMES G. GARNER BUILDING—Funded through a grant from the Federal Aviation Administration, Garner Hall was opened in the fall of 1989. This building houses the Information Technology, the Department of Communication, the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science, and the Glenn Hubert Learning Center. It is also home to The Mix 99.5 FM radio station, Digital Media Lab, and David Brinkley Television Studio.

JOHN & NETA KOLASA HALL—Located on NE 115th Street behind the Health and Sports Center, Kolasa opened in 2002 and is comprised of double and single rooms with private bathrooms in each. Kolasa houses sophomore, junior, and senior students and has a lounge on each floor.

KELLEY HOUSE—Originally named Rosa Mystica, it is dedicated to Mabel Kelley for her generous contributions to Barry University. Kelley House includes the Department of Recruitment and Admissions and Office of Financial Aid.

LAVOIE—Originally the site of the Department of Family and Consumer Science and Calaroga dining hall, LaVoie was built in 1940. It now serves as executive offices for the University, housing the Office of the President, Office of the Provost, Division of Business and Finance, and General Counsel Office.

LEHMAN—Lehman houses the administrative offices for the dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, and faculty offices for the Department of English and Foreign Languages and the Department of Sociology and Criminology. The Archives and Special Collections are located on the second floor. There are also classrooms and meeting rooms.

MONSIGNOR WILLIAM BARRY MEMORIAL LIBRARY—The Monsignor William Barry Memorial Library provides materials and services in support of the educational and cultural objectives of the university. The library building also contains the main computer lab, classrooms, and administrative offices.

MOTTRAM DOSS HALL—Mottram Doss Hall was completed in 1990 and is named after Reneé Mottram Doss, one of Barry’s benefactors. Its three buildings serve as a residence hall containing five-bedroom/two-bath and three-bedroom/one-bath apartments housing sophomore, junior, and senior students.

O’LAUGHLIN—Completed in November 2000, this building houses the Department of Theology and Philosophy and the Department of History and Political Science on the second floor, and classrooms on the first floor.

PELICAN THEATRE—This small black-box theatre is a popular venue for intimate theatrical productions. With a 50‑seat capacity, it is used by fine arts students and outside professional theatre companies.

PENAFORT POOL—Built in 1941 through a donation from Margaret Brady Farrell, Penafort Pool serves as both a recreational and instructional facility for students of Barry University.

POWERS—Built in 1994, Powers is the home of the Adrian Dominican School of Education and the Ellen Whiteside McDonnell School of Social Work. It contains the administrative offices of both schools in addition to faculty offices, classrooms, and seminar rooms.

R. KIRK LANDON STUDENT UNION—Built in 2004, the Student Union houses the Roussell Dining Hall, Barry Bookstore, fitness center, Public Safety Department, Bucky’s Cove sports bar, Union Market, the Student Union Office, and all departments within the Division of Mission and Student Engagement, including but not limited to the Office of Student Life, Career Development Center, Campus Recreation and Wellness, Accessibility Services, and Student Health Services.

SAGE HALL—Built in 1984, Sage Hall was named after Robert F. Sage, one of Barry’s benefactors. Sage houses first-year students in double suites; a bathroom is shared between two rooms.

SCHOOL OF PODIATRIC MEDICINE—This building houses classrooms and administrative offices for the School of Podiatric Medicine and the Physician Assistant Program.

SHEPARD AND RUTH K. BROAD CENTER FOR THE PERFORMING ARTS—This 970‑seat venue hosts educational, university, theatrical, and musical events.

SIENA—Located in the quadrangle between Adrian, Wiegand Center, and Fine Arts, this facility includes health and science classrooms, science labs, and the offices for the Department of Biology and several allied health programs.

THOMPSON—Built in 1962, Thompson presently houses the Division of Administrative Services and Organizational Development, Buc Stop café, Andy Gato Gallery, business center and postal services, the Miller Studio which is used for sport and fitness instruction, Kostka Room, a laptop kiosk as well as computer and study stations.

SUSANNE AND MICHAEL TWOHIG SCIENCE CENTER—Built in 1987, Twohig Science Center (formerly known as the Wiegand Annex), houses science labs.

VIVIAN A. DECKER ALUMNI HOUSE—Opened in 1995 to provide a place for alumni to meet and gather, the Vivian A. Decker Alumni House is home to Alumni Relations and Annual Giving and includes a memorial to Barry’s fourth president, Sister Trinita Flood.

WEBER HALL—Built in 1946 through the generosity of the Edyth Bush Foundation, Weber Hall was named for former Barry President Mother Genevieve Weber. It houses first-year students and contains single, double, triple, and quad rooms, with ensuite and community bathrooms.

WEBER GRAND HALL—This meeting and event space located on the south side of Weber Hall was renovated in 2015.

EDWIN WIEGAND SCIENCE CENTER—Built in 1970 through a donation from Edwin L. Wiegand, this building houses health and science classrooms, science labs, and a large lecture hall. Administrative and faculty offices for the College of Nursing and Health Sciences and the Department of Physical Sciences are located here. In 1987 an additional science wing was added and named Wiegand Annex (now Twohig Science Center).

Dwayne O. Andreas School of Law—Orlando Campus

ANDREAS LAW CENTER—This two-story building greets you at the end of Barry Law’s main entrance. It includes the Office of Admissions, Career Services, the Center for Earth Jurisprudence, and the Office of Student Life.

BUILDINGS A, B, AND C—These units on the northeast side of campus house Barry Law’s Legal Advocacy Clinics, Bookstore, Academic Success and Bar Preparation Center, and the Student Center.

EULIANO LAW LIBRARY—This three-story building houses library services, the computer lab, multimedia study rooms, and offices.

FACULTY BUILDING—This one-story building houses Barry Law faculty offices and meeting rooms.

LEGAL ADVOCACY CENTER—This three-story, 32,400 sq. ft. LEED building built in 2011 houses several administrative and executive offices, including the Dean’s Suite, Institutional Advancement, Finance, Human Resources, Registrar, and Financial Aid. The building also contains two large classrooms, five small courtrooms, two seminar rooms, and a large multipurpose room.

MOOT COURTROOM—This one-story building houses Barry Law’s main moot courtroom and the Sidebar Café.