Graduate Catalog

Adult Learner Academic Information

Graduation Requirements

Candidates for a Master’s degree must:

  • Satisfactorily complete the program of study;
  • Have attained a cumulative GPA of 3.00 on a 4.00 scale (with no more than two C’s); no more than three courses may be repeated and a course may only be repeated once; a withdrawal is considered an attempt;
  • Complete degree requirements within seven years of the date the student is fully accepted as a degree-seeking student for study in the graduate program; and
  • File an application for Graduation with the University Registrar via WebAdvisor at under ‘Academic Profile’; a $200 fee applies; refer to for the graduation application deadline dates.

Re-admission Requirements

A student may apply for re-admission until one year after the date of the dismissal notification. Upon re-admission, the student will be considered on academic probation and must remove one of the earned deficient grades by repeating a course in which a grade of “C” or below was earned.

Students who have been academically inactive for at least one calendar year and who wish to be readmitted must complete an application for re-admission, available at Students who do not satisfy provisional admissions requirements may apply for re-admission after one calendar year. Re-admission is contingent upon approval by the Dean and is not guaranteed.

Financial Aid for Graduate Students

Phone: (305) 899‑3355 or

Toll Free: (800) 695‑2279



Refer to the Financial Aid section of this catalog for information pertaining to eligibility requirements, satisfactory academic progress, applying for financial aid, types of financial aid, Veteran’s and eligible dependents’ educational assistance, and VA Yellow Ribbon Program.

Transfer Credits

Transferring credits from another institution requires the dean's approval (or his/her designee).

The number of credits acceptable for transfer from another institution toward a Barry graduate degree is limited to six (6) credits. Previously earned credits, if accepted for transfer must be completed in less than the (5) year period immediately preceding initial enrollment at Barry.

Transfer credits are defined by the following criteria:

  • Only relevant courses will be transferred upon enrollment in the program.
  • Only courses for which a grade of A or B was earned will be considered.
  • Only credits will be transferred, not grades or grade point averages.
  • Credits used to earn a degree at another institution will not be accepted.

American Council on Education

Credit for formal courses and educational programs sponsored by non-collegiate organizations and evaluated by the American Council on Education can be accepted in transfer with the permission of the dean (or his/her designee) if relevant to the graduate degree program. Refer to the Transfer Credit section.

Students can check the online National Guide to College Credit at to see if courses or educational programs are listed.

Students must submit official transcripts from the American Council on Education by the end of their first semester, if enrolled in the MPA program.

The American Council on Education, College Credit Recommendation Service provides a lifelong registry and transcript service to participants who successfully complete a course, examination, or certification with an American Council on Education recommendation as listed in the National Guide. Official transcripts may be obtained by registering online at:

Official transcripts should be sent to: Barry University, Division of Enrollment Management, 11300 NE 2nd Avenue, Miami Shores, FL 33161.

For additional information on transcript services from the American Council on Education, call (866) 205‑6267 or (202) 939‑9470. Email

Grading System

Graduate students are expected to maintain a (3.0) B average. Each school sets its own policy regarding a grade of F. Students should refer to the appropriate section of the catalog and/or contact his/her academic advisor.

A 4.0 honor points per credit
A– 3.7 honor points per credit
B+ 3.4 honor points per credit
B 3.0 honor points per credit
C 2.0 honor points per credit
D 1.0 honor points per credit
F No credit
CR Credit but no honor points
AU No honor points per credit
NR No Grade Reported is given when the professor fails to turn in his/her grades on the due date. Upon submission the NR is changed accordingly.
IP In Progress
NC No credit
I An incomplete grade must be made up within the semester following its receipt.
Incomplete Grade
redeemed with grade of A A 4.00 honor points per credit
redeemed with grade of A– A– 3.70 honor points per credit
redeemed with grade of B+ B+ 3.40 honor points per credit
redeemed with grade of B B 3.00 honor points per credit
redeemed with grade of C C 2.00 honor points per credit
redeemed with grade of D D 1.00 honor point per credit
redeemed with grade of F F No honor points per credit
redeemed with grade of CR CR Credit but no honor points awarded
redeemed with grade of NC NC NC No credit
W Granted to students who officially withdraw by the published withdrawal dates. A withdrawal will not calculate into the GPA.

Graduate Student Status

Graduate student status is determined by the number of credit hours attempted in a given semester as follows:

Full-time 9 credits or more
Part-time 4 to 8 credits

Probation and Dismissal

  1. A graduate student is in Good Academic Standing if his/her cumulative grade point average (GPA) is 3.00 or above.
  2. Students with a semester or cumulative GPA below 3.00 will be placed on academic probation. Also, students who earn more than two grades of “C” or a grade below a “C” during their academic program are placed on probation. While on probation, a student is limited to registering for one course per term. Students must earn a B grade or better while on probation. Students failing to maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.00 for two consecutive semesters will be dismissed.
  3. Probation will be lifted the following semester if the student achieves a cumulative GPA of 3.00 or above with no more than two grades of “C.” If this condition is not met, the student will remain on probation until the student meets the required academic criteria. A student will be dismissed after two consecutive semesters if they fail to maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.00.

Repeat Course Policy

If a student receives a third “C” or below, then s/he must repeat the course, in which s/he earned the deficient grade. Any student who fails to maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.00 for two consecutive semesters will not be eligible for VA benefits and will be suspended.

A course may only be repeated once and a student may only repeat three courses. A withdrawal, reflected as a “W” on the transcript, is considered an attempt and the course attempted may only be repeated once. If the student fails to achieve a grade of “B” or better in that course, the student is considered to have failed to complete the conditions for reinstatement or removal of probationary status and will be permanently dismissed from the program.

Students may repeat courses regardless of the grade initially earned in the course. However, the most current grade earned will be the one calculated in the grade point average, although it may not be the highest grade.

For the repeat policy to be implemented, the courses must have the same prefix & course number.

Course Withdrawal

Students withdrawing from a course(s) must do so officially in writing. Students should contact their advisor to sign the appropriate paperwork. No withdrawals will be accepted after the published deadlines. The withdrawal dates are cited in the Academic Calendar.

It is the responsibility of the student to initiate a withdrawal during the designated withdrawal period.

All withdrawals are counted as an attempt.

Active/Inactive Status

A degree-seeking student remains active unless not enrolled in consecutive semesters. If a student is not enrolled in two consecutive semesters (e.g., Fall/Spring; Spring/Fall) he/she will become inactive. When readmitted, he/she will be required to meet admissions and program requirements in place at the time of admission.

Admitted to Class (Class Enrollment for Students Not Yet Admitted)

Students must be admitted to the graduate programs to enroll for courses.